Sunday, January 18, 2015

TJ: Mini-Sea: #0

Aquarium Status

Introduction

This is a tank journal for my custom-made nano tank. I thought it'd be nice to document the process, to share my experiences with everyone.

I will document the cycle, stocking and everything, including all the failures and successes. I am testing something different with this aquarium, so it might go swimmingly, or horribly wrong.

The current status of the aquarium will always be updated here.

The Aquarium

The aquarium is a 36 litre nano aquarium, made by East Coast Tanks. They are a Sydney-based custom tank designer and maker group, so check them out!

This particular aquarium is 30cm long, 40cm wide and 30cm tall. So it is wider than it is long, which is not usually the case with aquariums. The reason for this is that it has a 10cm wide 3-chamber back-sump.

Which is pretty cool.

At the moment, it looks like this:

Yes, pretty sad. I just came back from a month holiday, in which I tore it down. A month before that I had moved all my corals on, and so had let algae grow out a bit more than usual (was feeding my fish heaps more so that they don't end up skinny whilst being taken care of).

Yep, my fish is currently elsewhere, and hopefully tomorrow I'll know how they are.

The Plan

What I am planning when setting this up again is a bit of a mixed sort of aquarium, with macroalgae AND corals. In the display.

Not sure how it'd pan out but well, I'll know tomorrow when I finish calling around. I want some cool, red macroalgae. But we'll see.

Otherwise, there'll be a hammer and something else I'll let my fiancee pick out. :)

In terms of stocking though, it'll be a while yet. I have to re-cycle this aquarium. Once tomorrow comes, I'll get some salt water from my research lab and fill up the aquarium. :D

Then it'll be some organics, probably marinara mix to help the cycle. Will also have to clean the current algae off the glass. >_>

Hm... what else. Oh yes, double the lights!

This is another Dalua Illumagic ComboRay that I bought before going on holidays. Its colors are quite different from what is currently present (as shown in the above picture). Will see how it pans out.

Otherwise, once the cycle is done, I'll start stocking. :D

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment