Monday, January 19, 2015

TJ: Mini-Sea: #1

Aquarium Status

Introduction

So today I've gotten quite a number of things done for the aquarium, which is awesome. Can't wait to let it fully go through the microbe propagation phase!

Steps that was taken today:
1.) Preparing the aquarium.
2.) Obtaining filtered NSW.
3.) Obtaining macroalgae.
4.) Filling the aquarium.
5.) Setting up all the equipments.
6.) Cycling/Microbe Propagation

Preparing The Aquarium

Took quite a bit of work to scrub all that algae. >_> Thought when they dried out after a month, it was easier. Can't be more wrong. In the end did remove quite a bit, though much of it fell back into the tank... unfortunately.

Obtaining Filtered NSW

One of the good things about working at a research institute, is that one has access to filtered NSW (natural sea water). I like using NSW, because I don't have to worry about making the parameters perfect. Though I will test the water again just to check on calcium levels, to make sure that this region has high enough calcium solutes.

I did use unfiltered NSW from this same place before though, and it seemed fine for use (higher than average calcium concentrations, which is cool), so fingers crossed.

Obtaining Macroalgae

The first macro-organisms in this revised aquarium are two patches of red macroalgae I found on the beach right next to the research institute. :)


Red Macroalgae (Gracilaria sp.?) collected at Chowder Bay, NSW.

There were various other types of macroalgae washed on shore, but these were the reddest I could find, so they are the chosen ones. I'm hoping to find more, partially to fill my sump, partially to add more to the aquarium. This patch is tiny. Ish.

Filling The Aquarium

The best part of the day! The aquarium is on a shelf, 120cm tall. Plus another 30cm for the tank, I basically had to lift a 20lt drum of water above my head to fill it. Wasn't too bad tho.

But really, this was the moment I was so excited about, finally having an aquarium with water again!

Since there was so much algae that fell into the tank when cleaning, plus all the detritus in the container, plus the fact that I did dig up all the sand to release build up of detritus, waste and gases during the away period.

Setting Up All The Equipments

So in the last update, I've mentioned how I have set up pretty much anything (or more precisely, everything has already been set up previously).

Well, there's a new addition today, and that's an additional light!

I originally was going to try it out yesterday, but I forgot to take the stand out of my car (oops).

Tested the lights today:


The new lights on!






The old lights!





Both of them! Overkill? Is there such a thing? Lol.


 It is ALIVE! You can see the effect of the pump on the water surface here.

Overall, I like the combined coloration, though I may move the cyan around, or perhaps add in something new (I still got some spare LEDs elsewhere). There is an eighth of a Marine Pure block in there behind the macroalgae which I was gonna use in another tank, but it looks nice behind that macroalgae. Hm... dang. >_<"

Cycling/Microbe Propagation

 What is this...?

Cycling time! The MPP is very important as it established beneficial microbes in the aquarium. There are plenty of dead matter in there already to feed the beneficial microbes, but I want to really push it.

So...


Food for microbes. Oh and also for the macroalgae. Version: peeled/unprocessed.



Marinara mix! 120g, all sorts of sea organisms. Well not all sorts, but quite a variety. This will be great to boost the growth of microbes. Plus it will contain a lot of microbes itself, so that should also help.

The first step is to puree it all up - as it is easier to distribute throughout the tank that way, and also the mix is a lot more consistent.

All I did was put it all in a blender, add water and press 'puree'.

Microbe/algae food version: *hurls*.

Smelled so bad, seriously. I almost vomited. Constantly. Couldn't even walk to the aquarium 4 meters away with the smell. Had to close the lid and then open it above the tank. Poured in about 1/8th of that and it was instantly mixed through the aquarium.

The final FTS for the day. Complete with fish-bits floating around.

I'm pretty surprised though. Despite the amount of particulate matter that was floating around earlier, plus what was just added, the tank looks pretty clear. Not that it really means much, until I test the parameters.

High PANN (phosphate, ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate) is good, hopefully just not so high to kill of the algae. Shouldn't be the case though. :)

Haven't tested anything yet (salinity, calcium, PANN, etc.). Though temperature is stable at 25.8 degrees celcius.

Will test tomorrow and see what it is all like. This is the first time I use macroalgae as part of the biological filtration system, so quite excited to see the results. :)

Conclusion

Well that's all for today, the first step is complete. Just need to wait for the cycle to complete. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment