Thursday, February 26, 2015

TJ: Mini-Sea: #9

Aquarium Status

Day 40

So yesterday I went to my LFS (where I work, actually) for a meeting, and whilst there grabbed some corals. I was gonna grab another fish, but nothing really appealed to me. :3

So what did I get?

Let's see now...

New coral additions! I miss my old scape, so decided to get similar corals. You can see my old setup here, in my Marine Pure review. As an added bonus, the corals make a good trap for the macroalgae. XD With the macroalgae stuck around the base and between the gaps between the corals, the fish don't really bother 'em. Yay!

Three Hammers (Euphyllia ancora), one green (front left), one mint (back), one yellow (front right). A small Elegance (Catalaphyllia jardinei). Both species I've had before and thrived in the previous tank. I missed them, but wanted more colors of Hammers, so decided to get a number of individuals, rather than one large one. Still hoping for a fluoro-toxic morph Hammer and a normal, brownish Hammer to add to the collection.



Also have a Sinuous Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa) that will get its own setup, when I... set it up. >_> For now, it sits behind the hammers. Super cute though. Also if you ever find these shipped to you and it looks like it is just a skeleton, don't fret. That was how this guy came to the store where I worked (I was skeptical, but my colleague said it was fine). Turns out, it is. XD Got it home, placed it into the tank, later that day it came out fully. :)


My Sunflower Coral. Poor guy is relegated to the sump. :P

And finally, this is my little experimentation. Not sure if it would work or not, but Sunflower Corals (Tubastrea spp.) are non-photosynethic corals, and do not require light for growth. So I decided to place it in the back in darkness, to see what it can do there. That is where a lot of detritus flows through, so who knows, it might be a good biological filter media. Just an experiment though.

As for acclimatization and all that, I actually didn't do any. I just took the corals out of their bags and plopped them in. :P I personally don't really bother with acclimatization, especially with healthy live stock. I find they don't really care either way.

The Hammers were a bit dreary in the store, as we had a chiller failure and temperatures got into the 30s, but they seem to be doing alright.

Heat was an issue for me before, so yesterday whilst I was at it, I did purchase a cooling fan. Haven't set it up yet as temperatures aren't too bad at the moment, but will see.

That's basically all for today. Before I go though, here's a full tank shot. :)



See you guys next time! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment